Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Heard God Laughing!

I am savoring, like kittens in a yarn basket, the beautiful poetry of Hafiz, a Sufi master from the 1300's, with translations by Daniel Ladinsky that are so pure they are crystal, and so loving they are divine. They take my breath away and I keep re-reading them, afraid to let them go, but knowing they will always surround my being with light and love and life, so I do.....and I share them with you.

Ladinsky says that all mysticism deals with the process of love and the ways in which one joins God (or Spirit) through love. The Master puts the student on intimate terms with God, who is called the Friend, the Beloved, the Beautiful one.

"Hafiz describes some of the preparations required for the inner 'Journey of Love.' He urges us to let go of habitual negative attitudes and unnecessary attachments, which only weigh us down. To make this Journey, we must be light, happy and free to go Dancing!

I wish I could show you,
When you are lonely or in darkness,
The Astonishing Light of Your own Being!"

Or how about: A Divine Invitation:

"You have been invited to meet
The Friend.

No one can resist a Divine Invitation.

That narrows down all our choices
To just two:

We can come to God
Dressed for Dancing,

Or

Be carried on a stretcher
To God's Ward."

As a hospital trauma chaplain - this last one resonates with me, big time.

May we all feel free to Dance with God, to have the Divine Dance Us, to breathe in this loving, laughing, beautiful dancing -- and truly dance like we are spirit, filled with light and love and life.
O Dear God, Let It Be.

No comments: